Kanya Pujan or Kanjak is performed on asthtami or navmi during Navratra. On this day, devotees invite small girls and offer them ‘bhog’ compromising of poori, halwa, kala chana and aloo sabji.
Also small gifts and money is offered to the kids. I remember going to my neighbours place for the pujan. We would be all happy to get the gifts and money which was all mine
Not everyone likes the dry version, but since last pujas I am in love with this:))
Hope you like it..
JAI MATA DI
2 cups – kala chana (black chickpea)
2 – medium tomatoes finely chopped
1/2 tsp – ginger grated
1 tsp – cumin seeds
2 – green chillies finely chopped
1/4 tsp – red chilli powder
3/4 tsp – turmeric powder
2 tsp – corriander powder
1 tsp – dry mango powder (optional)
1 tsp – chaat masala (optional)
1 tsp – Kasoori methi leaves
1/2 cup – chopped corriander leaves
2 tbsp – mustard oil
Salt to taste
- Pick and clean the chickpeas thoroughly in the running water. Soak them overnight.
- Boil the soaked chickpeas in a pressure cooker with 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and 1 tsp salt till the chickpeas are cooked completely. Strain and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Add cumin seeds. Let them crackle. Add the chickpeas and mix well.
- Now add tomatoes, chillies and ginger. Mix well.
- Add all the dry masalas. Mix well and cook for 10-15 mins covered in a low flame. Keep stirring between intervals.
- Cook till the raw smell of masalas goes and till the tomatoes are all mushy.
- Garnish with chopped corriander leaves
- Use chillies and red chilly powder according to your preference.
- Adjust the spice powders as per your requirements.
- If not making the dry version, reserve the water in which chickpeas were boiled. Add after step 4 as per your requirement. For a thicker consistency, you can add a boiled and grated potato with the water.
- You may omit chaat masala and dry mango powder as many do not use them.
Do tag us when you try our recipes, on any of our social media handles –
Do share your feedback.
Thank you for visiting !!